Coleus mildly stimulates the metabolism by increasing thyroid hormones and increases the secretion of insulin. These therapeutic indications for coleus are due to its principal active compound, a diterpenoid called forskolin.
Why You'll Find this Herb in our Product
This is the only plant-derived compound known to directly stimulate the enzyme adenylate cyclase which in turn stimulates cellular cyclic AMP, boosting metabolism.
An Herbal Powerhouse
- Coleus forskohlii preparations used as eye drops are known to reduce eye pressure in glaucoma.
- Coleus directly stimulates digestion and is thought to assist in the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
- Increased cellular cyclic AMP reduces histamine, making coleus beneficial in the treatment of allergies.
- Coleus is also a bronchodilator with an antihistamine action, making it useful in treating asthma.
- Conditions such as eczema and psoriasis are also improved by using coleus, largely due to its ability to increase cyclic AMP.
Popular for Heart Health and Angina Sufferers
- Coleus increases the amount of blood pumped with each heart beat and reduces the risk of blood clots.
- It also lowers high blood pressure by acting to relax the arterial walls.
Other Supporting Roles
Recent Indian and Chinese studies have isolated a number of diterpenoids in the stem and leaves of coleus forskohlii that may be helpful in the treatment of gastric cancer and preventing other metastatic (secondary) cancers. Early research indicates considerable success and may progress to human trials soon.